Saturday, July 12, 2008

God, Divinity and saints of latter day.

In order to give you a better insight into what I believe about Divinity and God, I thought I'd share some of my day today with you.

My housemate and I today had an encounter with two young missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints.  I think they may have been a little daunted by my knowledge of the Bible and The Book of Mormon, but their eyes started glazing a little when I began making references to the Qu'ran, Dead Sea Scrolls, Judaism and the Sumerian and Egyptian origins of many biblical stories.

One of the first questions the pair asked us was "Do you believe in God?".

My usual answer to this question is an automatic "Yes", and sometimes accompanied with an explanation as to what God and Divinity mean to me.  I put the question into the context that I believe the enquirer meant, so it was translated to "Do you believe in my version of God?".  Two very different questions.  I also realized that by doing this I was also making assumptions about the conversation and the intent of the enquirer.  Breaking this question down to it's core I came the conclusion that the best way to answer it was for me to define for them what Divinity and God mean to me and acknowledge my personal convictions in the God of my heart.

I explained what cosmic intelligence meant to me... a force behind all of creation, the fabric which holds everything together on a level that transcends the mere physical and physically observable.  The underlying constantly changing, but always the same vibration of the cosmic.  I continued by stating that my God does not judge; he is merely the Architect, the Supreme designer.  What we do with what this Divine intelligence has designed for us (or with us as a part of it) is up to us - we can make it what we want.  Of course any designer would prefer that what they designed is used for some noble purpose; and I personally believe that aspiring to this noble purpose is the single most effective way of paying my respect, thankfulness and appreciation for all of creation.


To quote His Holiness, the Dalai Lama: "My Religion is kindness".   As far as I am concerned that is also the very same religion that has been preached by Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Krishna and countless prophets throughout history.  It is my personal religion.

Love is the Law.  Love under will.

No comments: